If we were sitting down to have a tea at my favourite local cafe together and I asked you:
“Why do you do what you do?”
What answer would you give me?
Some people I’ve asked this question of have honed their ‘elevator pitch’ so well that it slides right off the tongue without a moment of hesitation but don’t quite answer the question.
Some stutter and splutter and look awkwardly into the horizon thinking “crap, why can’t I answer this question?”
Some who have worked on their ‘why’ and can take a moment to explain it to me with clarity and passion.
As Simon Sinek says…
“Your ‘why’ is a biological constant, it has nothing to do with what we do. It’s based on the biology of what drives us and motivates us….all you need to do is have the will and desire to want to understand what drives and inspires you.”
Your ‘why’ is your motivation, your ‘what’ is how you do it.
- You feel fulfilled – you can lead your business towards the outcomes that tie into your why
- You gain massive amounts of passion – which you can then translate that into your productivity and happiness at work
- You are lit up by purpose – your actions are fuelled by an intense driving force that’s bigger than just a pay cheque
- Your decisions on ‘what’ become instinctively based on your ‘why’
As Renée Warren, CEO and Founder of Onboardly says:
“When your enthusiasm is palpable, people want a ticket on your happy train.”
So “Why do you do what you do?”
Now if you asked me that question, here’s my response:
I believe that successful small businesses built and grown with positive intention, integrity and joy will help create a happier world.
My WHY is to help small businesses connect with their customers more frequently and positively.
My WHAT is sharing smart, simple, fun marketing strategies to create connection.
When you know your WHY, your WHAT has so much more impact and value.
Now that might sound like a huge task – one person, one business helping to create a happier world.
Let’s break it down…
Say I work with one small business owner; that person has a family and customers and a community that rely and enjoy and revel in the success of that one business.
Now think of what happens when I work with 5 small business owners. Think of that with 10, then 100 small business owners around the world.
That’s 100 families, thousands of customers and hundreds of communities who lives can change for the better by building and growing successful business.
And that is why I get out of bed in the morning.
- Really think about your future…when you imagine your future; what are you doing, how are you feeling, what does your everyday look like?
- Where does your mind always wander back to when you’re day dreaming or meditating?
- What exact elements of your work make you love it and keep going back everyday?
- Where do you feel most purposeful and powerful?
- What’s a topic that impassions you and you feel as though you could speak for hours about?
- In 20 years, what do you want to be known for and recognised for?
These questions will help you get closer to understanding and articulating your ‘why’.
I really would love to know your ‘why’ in the comments below!